Saturday, August 17, 2013

Noises Off – Hats Off


Noises Off – Hats Off
This was the first time I had paid money to watch an English play. Most of the English plays that I have seen were in school and college and the entry used to be free. Since I became a working professional most of my money (almost all) has gone to the Hindi productions of National School of Drama (both summer and winter festivals) and the plays by Sayeed Alam’s Peirrot’s Troupe (my current favourite).
However on the recommendation of my friend Varoon.P.Anand (who also happened to be the organiser of the play), I went to see ATUL KUMAR’s-(A fellow Xavarian)  NOISES OFF a comedy play written by English playwright MICHAEL FRAYN.
The play was divided into three parts and when the first part started, it was your regular funny stuff and the two bong girls sitting behind me made sure that they giggled on each and every goofy moment and also translated the moment in Bengali.
However it was just like your regular SITCOM material, people falling, people fumbling, people asking stupid questions and of course some getting irritated and the audience (including the bong girls behind me) going crazy with laughter. Just when I had rated the play (basis the first part) to the equivalent of a 100 CC Japanese bike, the second part started and it turned out that NOISES OFF was a 500 cc bullet thunderbird, which roared and thundered as suddenly the backstage became front stage and the front stage became backstage and the play just went into a turbo mode. The laughter increased as all of us (audience, bong girls and me) were stunned by the front and back performance of these individuals on stage who suddenly became THEATRE PROFFESIONALS.
A special mention for YUKI ELLIAS the shining light of the play who just enthralled the auditorium, even though the character of Brooke was written to be the highlight of the show, YUKI performed it to perfection; her voice and the movements on stage will be remembered by the Delhi theatre audience for a long time to come.
Thank you ATUL KUMAR and THE COMPANY THEATRE, Delhi needs more of this.
P.S – For people who have not seen this play I would have loved to write that tonight is the final performance at KAMANI, but unfortunately the play is sold out, so better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment